Singapore, Melaka, Kuala Lumpur, Penang (13 days)
June 29th – July 11th 2014 July 20th – August 1st 2014
This exciting itinerary gives you the best of the extensive history of colonial influences in Malaysia as well as the dynamic urban centers of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. We will be focusing on the history, culture, and food of these destinations. The tour will start and end in Singapore.
Why Our Tours are Different
Our tours are different. The group will be small, limited to 12. The point of our trip is simple: travel in a method that gives you better experiences. We will be passing on tourist traps in favor of sites of cultural interest. We will be using public transport, showing you how independent travelers do it. We’ll stay in dorm rooms at small hostels and guesthouses and eat where the locals eat. We’ll also be meeting with Malaysians and Singaporeans along the way. Our pace of travel will be slower than a typical group which will allow us to gain a deeper understanding of each place. Our guides have years of independent travel experience and will be sharing their tricks of the trade.
Singapore – 4 days
- Walk through the Heritage Districts of Little India, China Town, and Kampong Glam.
- Visit the best hawker centers—eat where Singaporeans eat!
- Hike along the Southern Ridges to see the Henderson Waves Bridge.
- Visit Jurong Bird Park or Night Safari.
- Meet Singaporeans while sharing traditional Peranakan deserts.
- Do like Singaporeans and shop!
- Visit the new Gardens by the Bay.
- Stay in the historic old town of Melaka.
- Experience the taste of Melaka—chicken rice, laksa, wan tan mee, satay, and more!
- Visit temples, mosques, churches, and historic residences.
- Understand the complex layers of immigration waves and colonial powers who’ve formed Melaka
- Relax and take in the laid back vibe of small-town Melaka.
Kuala Lumpur—3 days
- Witness Malaysia at its most modern.
- Ascend the famous Petronas Towers.
- Visit the Hindu pilgrimage site: Batu Caves.
- Taste the specialties of KL food: Nasi Lemak and Banana Leaf meal!
- Have coffee with locals.
- Walk through Chinatown and Little India Brickfields.
- Spot the few remaining colonial buildings of this fast-changing city.
- Shopping–markets and malls!
Penang (George Town)—3 days
- Experience the essence of Penang through eating at the many street hawker stalls.
- Walk through historic George Town: past old colonial highlights, Little India, and more!
- Visit a well-restored historic mansion.
- Eat, eat, eat! Penang’s is one of Asia’s top food destinations.
- Appreciate the multi-cultural makeup of Penang.
- Optional trip to the nearby beach.
Why Malaysia and Singapore?
Malaysia is one of my favorite destinations on earth due to its physical and cultural diversity. In Peninsular Malaysia alone, there are fascinating historical colonial towns, dynamic modern cities, world-class beaches and diving, wildlife, and a population of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and Indigenous. Malaysia also offers incredible and varied food options. Singapore, bordering Malaysia, extends many of the same attractions, just in a more compact space.
What’s included in the cost?
The cost: $ 999 *
* $200 Non-refundable deposit required to secure place on tour
* Remainder of tour fee ($799 USD) due 2 months before start of tour
* 50 % refund up to 2 weeks before start of tour
* No refund two weeks or less before start of tour
You’ll be responsible for some meals. Prepared food is a good value in Singapore and Malaysia, so you can budget between $3-5 per meal in Malaysia and $3-9 in Singapore.
You will also be responsible for booking your airfare to/from Singapore.
What to expect:
- Modern and Traditional
- Excellent Food
- Learning Travel Skills
- Learning History, Culture, Society & Food
- Unique Experiences
- A Lot of Walking
- Clean and Modern Dorm Accommodation
- A Slow Travel Pace
- No Tourist Traps
- Ethical Travel
- No Tour Buses, No Lectures
- Great Value
Who is this trip for?
This trip will be enjoyable for wide-variety of travelers. If you’re a first-time backpacker, first-time Asia traveler, or have little independent travel experience; this trip is perfect for you. It’s also ideal for those who may prefer to travel in a small group rather than solo, but do not want to join a conventional, big group tour. More experienced travelers who wish to join the group will take advantage of our in-depth knowledge of the region, accommodation booking, and outstanding eating recommendations. Others might just be interested in how we travel or experiencing a different kind of holiday than your typical lay-on-the-beach or cruise vacation.
Have more questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Question post.
Our Travel Team
Our team’s objective is to channel our years of independent travel experience and passion for Malaysia and Singapore into creating a unique and rich travel experience for you. We have diverse backgrounds and hope to share our insights and travel philosophy with you. The team on this tour will include Noel Lau and myself, Stephen Bugno.